Thursday, June 2, 2011

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm


One of my personal reading goals this year was to make a conscious effort to stay current with the novels that my fourth and fifth graders were reading.  I was able to do this by alternating my book choices between my personal “next stack” and my “school next stack”. I am happy to announce…I met my goal! Here are my four favorites from the year…

The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman is a combination of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory meets Survivor in a toy factory.  No worries...no oompaloompas in this book!  Each team member brings a talent to the competition and then it is every person for themselves! This book is full of puzzles and riddles that the students will enjoy solving.  
 I have always been inspired by Ralph Fletcher's books on writer's notebooks, craft lessons, and picture books.  I decided to venture into one of his novels about a boy who has moved to a new school and how his love for his pet spider helps him to connect with his teachers, a new friend, old friends, and maybe even the class bully.
The summer lemonade stand war is on!  Brother vs. Sister...one is word smart, the other is number smart.  Each sibling brings a particular strength to their approach in winning the lemonade war!  Great way to start or end the year by focusing on the different multiple intelligences that each one of us has a slice of  inside!


First of all, a secret, a submarine and a frog on the cover...who would not start wondering?  The Fantastic Secret of Owen Jester is written in a style that keeps students wondering and predicting throughout the entire book.  This book would be great for holding on to those big questions you have prior to reading that you want to monitor as you continue through the novel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment