Tuesday, August 16, 2011

New students + symbols + words = Community

51SUNv6t4KL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp%2CTopRight%2C12%2C-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg One way I am going to help my students learn about their new community of learners is through the exploration of Amy Krouse Rosenthal's book, This Plus That.  In this picture book, mathematical symbols are used in combination with words to make powerful statements about one's self.  Some of my favorites include..."book + chair = cozy" or "somersault + somersault + somersault = dizzy".  I am going to ask the class to brainstorm all of the mathematical symbols that they are familiar with such as the greater than symbol, less than symbol, %, x, =, etc...Then students are going to write a word equation for each symbol that we discuss to introduce themselves to the class.


For example, some of mine could be...
Chipotle is greater than Burger King. (couldn't find the greater than symbol on the computer :)
whole family + rollercoaster rides + not paying attention to how late it is = best vacation day ever
pepperoni + mushroom - olives = my side of the pizza

I think this will be a great way to assess the students' knowledge of mathematical symbols and at the same time learn a lot about each other!

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea I just learned about this book from 10 for 10 picture book blogs. I think the kids will enjoy it as well as learning something new. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited just got my copy today-going to cover all the answers with correct tape and let students guess the answers then have them draw their own-great intro to math :) THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just did the activity today for the first day of school! It went extremely well! All through the day they were making up equations...too cute! My favorite of the day came from one student...

    mom - diet coke = grumpy

    I concur on that equation!!! :)

    ReplyDelete