Sunday, January 8, 2012

Listening for the things that matter

Listen.  My one little word for 2012.  Mandy at Enjoy and Embrace Learning posed the question: What was your just right moment in selecting your one little word?  I have spent all day thinking about that question and I was saddened by my realization.  Over winter break I was playing board games with my children around the kitchen table, Christmas tree lit, television off, and the first glimmer of snow flurries outside...my daughter spoke out, "Did you hear that? Did you hear that Mommy?  I can read this card!  It tells me to move forward five spaces." And then I realized, I had missed it.  Of course, I had her reread it to celebrate so I could be truthful that I had listened.  The reality...I did not listen the first time.  I was lost in thought.  I still can not remember what had me preoccupied or what world problem I was trying to solve, but I had almost missed it.  I had almost missed the moment my daughter realized that she was a reader.  Not just a reader of books, but all the words around us in our world.  Her celebration continued all day long...reading words on the television, looking at more books, reading words at the restaurant (that was my decision on dinner...I do remember that!).  I am still bothered by the fact that I almost missed it.  That wonderful moment when a first grader's light bulb goes off and it is full speed ahead!  Now that I reflect back, I think it was that moment...that moment I almost missed... that played the biggest part in selecting my one little word...listen.

So...how am I going to stay focused on my one little word?  If you have not guessed, I am a quote person.  Love quotes!  I use them on my blog. I have a notebook collection of them.  I am even in the process of creating a scrapbook of quotes of life lessons to pass on to each of my children filled with pictures of their childhood that remind me of each quote's message. (My favorite page is, "Families are like fudge- mostly sweet with a few nuts".  Lots of silly pictures are going on that page).    A quote to inspire, remind, focus, and celebrate the art of listening....I want to listen for the things that matter most.

This week's quote:
"My wife says I never listen to her.  At least I think that's what she said." - Author Unknown

My focus this week will be on my presence.  Being truly present for all conversations...work, classroom, and family.  This week my ears will be wide open...can't wait to discover what I am trying to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment