Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Picture books with a purpose...

Remember the saying...
 " If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back they're yours; if they don't they never were."

How I interpreted it today...
"If you read a book, keep it in your collection.   If you come back to the book... it has made an impact; if it has developed a purpose... read again with eyes wide open."

A teacher came into my room today and asked if I knew a book that would support teaching conflict and resolution in a "right there" sort of way.  I went to my shelf and pulled out one of my old favorites...then the pulling began.  I was pulling books off of the shelf with a nostalgic feel.  I was remembering books that I had read in the past for that purpose, but began to think of several more purposes for just that one book.  Then, I felt bad...books begin to become labeled in our minds for one teaching point and I need to remember to make time to reread those books and look past that one point to be open to all of its possibilities.  Here are a few of my "oldies, but goodies" that I am rereading tonight...ready to think again.





No comments:

Post a Comment