Saturday, March 10, 2012

March Madness...Word Study...think quick!

What do you get when you think about the Ohio State Buckeyes winning their first game in the Big Ten Tournament last night and March Madness Basketball coming next week?  You get word study for the week!



I have decided to use the typical March Madness "brackets" as the main basis to my word
study this week.  One thing you may not know...I love college basketball!  This is my favorite time of year!

There were some skills that I have been wanting to review or dig a little deeper with....so March Madness Word Study Style has been born!  The students will look through their Wonder Word notebooks, the "My Words" section of their Reader's Notebooks, look at past jots about words, think about favorite words, (I know one of my kids will pick...pumpernickel) and come up with 16 words to put to the test!  After the initial 16 words have been determined by each student, I will present a challenge each day.  The two words in the bracket will go face-to-face...and the winner will go to the next round.  I am actually writing this as I brainstorm, but as of right now...

Challenge 1:  The word with the most syllables by syllable swooping.
Challenge 2:  The word that contains the most multiple definitions in the dictionary.
Challenge 3:  I am going to give a 5 minute brainstorm...which word can generate the most new words off the word ?  For example...if it was "test"...detest, retest, testify, testy, testing, tests, testimony
Challenge 4:  Hmmm...something about context clues...or synonyms/antonyms
Challenge 5:  Each person will share the "winner" of their bracket by creating a poster of the word that includes...the word, a picture of its meaning (hand-drawn or from a magazine...like a collage), a sentence, and a list of words that can be built off of it.  We will then add them to our "Wonder Words" bulletin board.

Yay!  Fun way to celebrate words, revisit some old favorites, and to review a few skills from "their words", "their writing", and  "their reading".  Let the Madness begin.   

PS...Go Buckeyes!!!!!
PSS...Now I am wondering...how could I use the brackets to have books go "head to head"?

11 comments:

  1. LOVE the Buckeyes! LOVE words! LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing-

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. you really need to join twitter because I keep tweeting all of your amazing ideas and you need to read all the great comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the encouragement! I am thinking twitter is my summer focus! :) It is so nice to have encouragement about PD...I learn so much from all of the blogs....especially yours! Think how smart I could become if I joined Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to Maria's tweet, I found this blog. What a great idea! I'm going to use it with my third graders. I know that they will love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came to visit my blog...I am now off to visit yours! :)

      Delete
  5. You are such a rock star...and my friend. How lucky am I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the true friend...you are the one who had to listen to my ramblings and frustration about word study on Friday!

      Delete
  6. You encouraged me to borrow your idea and make it my own-I am going to use your challenges next week. Thanks so much -http://bit.ly/x446ZY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea!! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you visited! Off to visit your blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous connection to my "bracketology" post today! Must try this with words now!!!

    ReplyDelete