Monday, April 30, 2012

My OLW for April: Listening for Connecting

I had a completely different plan for my One Little Word this month, but as all things do in life...I am taking a detour toward "listening"that occurred this weekend.  On Saturday I had the privilege of listening to Chirs Tovani.  Instead of "talking back to the text", I was "talking back to the speaker" with the annotations I made in my notebook.  I sat down on Sunday to "reread" what I was thinking, what I determined was important, questions that I still had...below you will find my "jots" from a part of my conversation that went on between myself and Chris in my notebook.  No, she was not actually talking to just me.  This process of "jotting" helps me to have a record of the dialogue with myself, the speaker, and the issues and ideas that I was "listening" to at that moment so I can get smarter about our literacy world.
Sorry for the sloppy handwriting...the quote at the top and my attempt at a flow chart is what Chris Tovani said.  The writing around the outside is my thinking.  The question in the cloud is the key to accessing information to get smarter about our world...that is from Chris!
This portion of the day impacted my learning the most.  How does your thinking connect back to the text?  Strategies are the tool.  But what I realized most is that connecting it back to the text is the key to getting access to information and putting it all in perspective in our world. Every reader will enter into engagement with the text at a different point based on their needs and experiences.  By connecting it back to the text through conversation, we are focusing our discussion on the one thing we all share in common...the text.  It is those different entry points that will enrich our discussion and provide opportunity for all readers to find or affirm the point that solidifies their thinking.

Chris Tovani has a way of putting what I know and feel into simple, beautiful thoughts.  I am so happy that I took the time to annotate...just like I ask my students to do...because I can "listen" to this conversation again and again while using these jots to adorn future conversations with a colleague, with my grade level, my school, and my blogging world.

Check out more OLW updates...

Maria at Teaching in 21st Century



3 comments:

  1. Interesting how your arrows went this way and that...connecting and circling back to idea, thoughts, questions and ah ha's. Sounds like a wonderful workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally took your notes blew them up and printed them-this entry will have me thinking all summer!! I love this quote also," How does your thinking connect back to the text? Strategies are the tool. But what I realized most is that connecting it back to the text is the key to getting access to information and putting it all in perspective in our world. Every reader will enter into engagement with the text at a different point based on their needs and experiences." My favorite part is that every reader will enter the engagement at a different point-so crucial yet I never thought of it like that! Yes definitely more blogging PD needed and more time to process this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a very "thoughtful" workshop! I found this quote awhile ago...
    I came across this quote on the Catching Readers Before They Fall website....all about the entry point!

    “A teacher’s job is always to bridge from the known to the new. Because there really is no other choice. Kids are who they are. They know what they know. They bring what they bring. Our job is not to wish that students knew more or knew differently. Our job is to turn each student’s knowledge, along with the diversity of knowledge we will encounter in a classroom of learners, into a curricular strength rather than an instructional inconvenience.” -P. David Pearson, 1997

    ReplyDelete