Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pause to save...Common Core

A dear friend of mine gave me a copy/sample of the the first two chapters of Pathways to the Common Core by Lucy Calkins, Mary Ehrenworth, and Christopher Lehman. I keep telling her that she just might regret the day she passed it along to me.  My mind has been whirling since.  In two days, I have read the two chapters, reread them, thought, rethought, suggested it to others to hear their thinking and prepared my mind for the change to come.  I hadn't really thought about how I FELT about the Common Core.  It was this "thing" that was happening and had made it to my "summer" list.  So...here is where I am today...

Pause to Save:
"Of course, in order for students to make the necessary progress, they need at least 45 minutes in school and more time at home to read books...Chances are good that students who are not making optimal progress as readers do not have time in school each day for 45 minutes of eyes-on print reading (not talking about books, not writing about books) and similar to time at home." (page 18)

Pause to Think:
Nothing new here... I know this in my heart and have evidence of this in my classroom, but in testing month...I need to continue to remember this!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again Tracy for an insightful post! This is a new title for me. I have to admit I am on your path-waiting till summer to dry and learn a little bit more. PS. You really need to get a twitter accoutn - you're famous out there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind! Anxious for you to give it a whirl...the sample in the link will leave you "wondering" about so many things. Would love to have a conversation about this new focus in education for Ohio!

      Delete