Sunday, June 24, 2012

A little of this...a little of that...


If you take a little sunscreen lotion, a little of the ocean smell, plus a LOT of blue skies....you get a whole lot of reading time!  Throw in a little laziness, waiters walking around the pool, and a tiki hut...and you get even more reading time!  I spent the last week soaking in the sun and soaking in a new genre for me...biographies.  I decided to read one that was appropriate for my students and one that  I would enjoy as an adult.  Both books did not disappoint.  

My ADULT biography choice...
if you have an ADULT sports fan in
your family...
this book does not disappoint.
I was laughing out loud!
What a wonderful biography for our students!
I had never heard this story and know that
the students will be able to relate to WWII during
this biography of the Chocolate Pilot!
This picture book was recommended at the end of the "Candy Bomber".  Can't wait to read it!  Amazon's "Look Inside" shows a quick section of background knowledge that will support young readers in understanding WWII!


 And finally...I read the two books that I have been wanting to read.  These two books have such strong characters, important themes, and are just AMAZING!  My son read Wonder the whole car ride home...could not put it down and finished it!  Anxious to experience these books with a class!
 


1 comment:

  1. Tracy,

    Don't you love reading at the beach!! I too loved Wonder and The One and Only Ivan. Read Wonder over April break and decided to read it with a small group of 4th graders in June. They loved it and my only regret was not starting a little earlier to allow for more discussions. Ivan was my last shared read-aloud of the year! I am going to check out the biographies you shared. It's a genre that I need to give more of my attention. Many thanks. ~ Theresa

    ReplyDelete