Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Opening Minds...Cyber PD...Part 3

I am amazed how with each section of this book, my response or focus has been completely different!  During Part One, I focused on thinking deeply about how one single word can change everything and inspire action.  During Part Two, I made many connections to this fall and how I wanted to develop a structure for inquiry in the classroom.  During Part Three, I found myself reflecting to past thoughts and building a bridge between known learning and new learning.  Same book, three sections, three different levels of engagement! (This week is hosted by Laura.)

"But it is equally true that our ability to think alone is substantially dependent on our ability to think together. Individual minds are nutured in the conversations-the interactive thinking-of the community.  Thinking well together leads to thinking well alone...But by thinking together...the emotional and relational support we provide for each other in the process of thinking together is usually important for the development of individual minds." (page 96)


My classroom community of readers, my virtual community of bloggers, and my reading life all contain communities.  In each of these communities, no one reads alone.  Each particular community has members and the members within that community rely on each other to experience the joy that reading and conversations can bring.  As readers, we are free to choose what we read, but this choice is influenced by book recommendations, book trailers, and book previews.  As readers, we can "jot" and have conversations, but no one can control our own experience and thinking while reading a book.  As readers, we need guidance.  We need to see how everyone's thinking connects back to the same text that we just read, how it connects to other texts and experiences, and we need the care and support of other readers to try anything new or to understand a new perspective.


Think about the way blogging is set up.  We give "blogs we follow" along the side...recommendations.  We have a "comments" section so we can virtually talk...conversations.  We have a "followers" section so we can see who else we can talk with about a blog....blog partners or blog clubs.  We have an "about me" section so we can understand the perspective of the writing.  I know that my blogging is inter-dependent as well.  I anxiously await comments because I feel I have "put it all out there" and want others to connect thinking back with me.  Also, without the care and support of other bloggers, I would not have tried blogging or made Twitter a NEXT goal instead of a YET goal. (That was for you Maria and Cathy...I still have three weeks:)


"The first step (for children to appreciate each other as interesting and as a source of learning), is to arrange for children to be interesting to each other.  This requires enabling them to bring their interests, experiences, and perspectives to their work." (page 100)


How happy was I to have a whole section on my One Little Word for the year?  And...what a powerful statement as we begin to develop our planned opportunism for the fall.  My thoughts fly forward to inquiry workshop, appreciating our wonders through wondering wishes, book partners, book clubs, book recommendations and choice in reading.  This section also took my thoughts backwards to listening to Chris Tovani in the spring and remembering my notes that I scrambled down.

How does your thinking connect back to the text?  What a powerful use of language!  But what I realized most is that connecting it back to the text is the key to getting access to information and putting it all in perspective in our world. Every reader will enter into engagement with the text at a different point based on their needs and experiences.  By connecting it back to the text through conversation, we are focusing our discussion on the one thing we all share in common...the text.  It is those different entry points that will enrich our discussion and provide opportunity for all readers to find or affirm the point that solidifies their thinking.

Thank you to Cyber PD and to the blogging community for helping me to realize that reading experiences matter and that when we share them...it is priceless.

8 comments:

  1. We anxiously await your new adventure on twitter 3 weeks can't come soon enough. On the other side, your post pulled the whole book together for me and it really helped me come full circle. Especially with your connections with your reading blocks of time along with encourage students to ponder, think and ask questions. I totally stole your Chris Tovani notes and printed them off for me as a reminder. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you find my messy diagram of notes helpful :) That one page of notes holds so many of my beliefs but to see it in a flow charty/diagram kind of way helps me to reflect all the time. I wish I would have recorded what she was saying as I wrote quickly!

      Delete
  2. I love your quote "no one reads alone!" The way you talked about the inter-connections of our reading lives... it's such an important concept to remember. I never thought of blogging in the terms that you describes, but it makes so much sense. Thanks so much for adding to my thinking this morning!
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Every reader will enter into engagement with the text at a different point based on their needs and experiences. By connecting it back to the text through conversation, we are focusing our discussion on the one thing we all share in common...the text. It is those different entry points that will enrich our discussion and provide opportunity for all readers to find or affirm the point that solidifies their thinking."

    Yes! Yes! Yes! I love this thinking:) Your posts have done a great job making connections to your own classroom and have all made me think about my own classroom, inquiry, conversations, books clubs, etc. I love the reminder that no one can control our own experiences reading a book. I hope I can nudge kids to listen to each other's experiences always coming back to the text as their common experience. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy,
    Wow! Your reflection gave me a lot to think about. Particularly, your diagram and where you talk about, "thinking back to the text" - That's powerful. As you said, "It is those different entry points that will enrich our discussions and provide opportunities for all readers to find or affirm the point that solidifies their thinking." I can't agree more. Thanks for sharing this insightful post.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracy,

    What an important point - to connect your thinking back to the text. I know that I am guilty of letting a conversation go off on a tangent and losing the point that was in the text. While this can be fine sometimes, I need to remember to bring conversations full circle and reconnect with the text. Thanks for the nudge.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracy,
    Much to think about again. You made an interesting point about the variety of communities we belong to as readers. I'm thinking we belong to a variety of learning communities that shape our learning.

    I also enjoyed your NEXT vs. YET conversation. I think considering what is next may be more important for learning than knowing what we cannot do yet. NEXT holds promise, sets a forward course, and challenges us to move toward a goal. I am glad Twitter is NEXT goal for you!

    As for reading, "It is those different entry points that will enrich our discussion and provide opportunity for all readers to find or affirm the point that solidifies their thinking." This event really helps to illustrate your point. Every reader has entered Peter's book in a different place, with different thinking in mind, and from different perspectives. Every time I stop by to read someone's reflection I see a new side to Peter's point, a new way I might want to think about learning in our community, and a fresh view. My learning has been multiplied thanks to everyone participating. Love it! I want these same opportunities for the students in my classroom.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find myself wantng to comment to each line in your post and every comment. You clearly state the importance of the reading community, blogging community and the community of thinkers. wow! Like Maria I had never realized the way our blogs organize our reading and thinking communities,it's so clear now, how did I not see it before? As I have been reading Peter's book and the #cyberpd blogs I often wonder how I missed such an important point. When I am working with my students their schema is omnipresent , how did I not realize this was how I missed so many points. Without #cyberpd I am not sure I would have realized I even missed anything!
    Thank you all for sharing and participating and a special thanks to Cathy, Jill & Laura for hosting!

    ReplyDelete