Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My OLW for 2013...



From Google Images

CREATE.  I often feel that I have ideas, thoughts, possibilities, the beginnings of seed ideas...always floating in my head.  My goal for 2013 is to change that thinking from a bunch of nouns to verbs.  2013 is going to be about "doing".  Anyone who knows me personally...I am a little type A.  Ok. A little more than just a little type A.  When I say create, I am sure many people think of getting out the scissors, glue, and paint.  Although my plan does entail some artistic means...I feel like I have been living in a "yet" world...and need to shift my thinking to what I want to do "next". (Can you feel the list forming in my type A world?)  While we were reading Opening Minds this summer, Cathy Mere left a comment that stuck with me on one of my posts (from all the way back in July):


You have me thinking about the word "next." The argument for embracing the word "yet" is a compelling one, but I know I will need to consider it with caution. For example, I've been saying I haven't cleaned my basement YET for well over two years. For years I've been saying I don't know how to do my taxes YET. In other words, YET without action or a plan really won't move us forward. It acknowledges where we are, what we know, and that we feel something can change, but it doesn't take us down the road. That's why I like your "NEXT." I don't know how to keep the bugs out of my garden YET, but I'm doing some research to see if I can find a natural way to deter them. That action step is important. 

The final sentence..."that action step is important"...is what struck me and has stayed with me.  So why did I not pick "action"? Action is something that is put in affect.  So what am I going to put in affect?  CREATING.  I chose the word CREATE because I want create to be my action.  I do not want something that can be checked off the list or even be just a product...I am ok with creating something that might not have a definite end to it.  This will hit my type A-ness head on! I want CREATE to be about bringing those ideas, thoughts, possibilities, and seed ideas into existence....enjoying the process.  I want to develop, build, design, produce, realize, establish, assemble, and maybe even "re-create".  Some of the things are personal...creating a life lessons journal (365 lessons a year), creating a book club , and creating more time for just my family to be together.  Some of the things are professional...creating a life lessons journal (180 lessons together) in the classroom, acting on some inquiry ideas, focusing on not just wondering but acting and creating with that curiosity, establishing a school wide pinterest page that focuses on holding current ideas from team conversations, and more...

After writing this post, I now think that I need to take a nap.  I need to thank Cathy for taking the two minutes to write a comment that has stuck with me for over 6 months.  I need to get ready to focus on bringing things into existence and acting...creating!

Want to join the One Little Word fun for a whole year?  Check out another blogger who does the same...Maria.


7 comments:

  1. Once again you and I are on the same page...I love your OLW and especially your plans for starting to "create." Can't wait to follow along your journey this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent choice for you! I can't wait to see what you create, as it always inspires me as well. I've chosen the word "move" for this year. I'm excited to see where it will take me! (On a side note: we should talk about the Pinterest board soon- I've opened some "shared" boards for teams and the 3,4,5 board is filling up with ideas! Some people are really into it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Side note: Yes! Let's look at the Pinterest boards!!! :)

      Delete
  3. Tracy,
    The conversations we had over the summer really have stuck with me as well. I'm still trying to change the conversations in our classroom --- and some of the ways I provide feedback to young learners as I sit beside them each day. I remember reading your blog about "NEXT" and found it to be a powerful point; one that has stuck with me as I've tried to help students develop plans to make the next steps in their learning. I like that you have moved from "action" to "create".

    You said:
    This will hit my type A-ness head on! I want CREATE to be about bringing those ideas, thoughts, possibilities, and seed ideas into existence....enjoying the process. I want to develop, build, design, produce, realize, establish, assemble, and maybe even "re-create".

    It will be interesting to follow your conversations as you do this very thing.

    Most of all, thank you for waking me up to the fact that I'm really struggling to keep up with the blogging community right now. The constant demands of new curriculum, district professional development obligations, and the day to day preparation for school is making it challenging for me to read blogs and write posts. Sadly, I think visiting other blogs and commenting helps me to improve practice more than anything I do. Thank you for reminding me of the significance of participating in the conversation and reminding me I need to find the time to do what I value most --- learn with others.

    All the best in your new year journey,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words.

      When you wrote: The constant demands of new curriculum, district professional development obligations, and the day to day preparation for school is making it challenging for me to read blogs and write posts. Sadly, I think visiting other blogs and commenting helps me to improve practice more than anything I do.

      It is the blogging community that helps me to think broader and deeper...out of "my little neck of the woods." My Twitter goal is still a YET goal for me...hope to CREATE an account soon and broaden my learning in more than one media.

      Thanks for inspiring my journey! :)

      Delete
    2. Tracy,
      Make sure you give me an extra shout when you CREATE your Twitter account. I'll look forward to seeing you there soon.

      Cathy

      Delete