Tuesday, February 19, 2013

10 for 10 Nonfiction Picture Books

 Here are my top 10 Nonfiction Picture Books...in no random order! :)
Check out Cathy at Reflect and Refine to see more links to your colleagues' favorites!
This text has narrative and expository all in one!
If I had to pick one...this would be my favorite!
Captures students' wonders about how items, names,
and inventions came to be!

Just check out the layout of this book...
I love how the text is arranged.


A biography that students will enjoy
hearing from beginning to end!
You had me at "photographs".

Great for cause and effect in small paragraphs!
And...appreciating the word "why"!
The structure of Now and Then is very engaging!





High level of interest for students...especially in November.
Would be a great pair with Frindle!
Love using ABC books to determine importance
of selecting the word for each letter. Great model for a
different type of research project.





9 comments:

  1. Love Nic Bishop's books and the Candy Bombers. Can't wait to check out Elephants Can Paint Too! Thanks for a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy,
    It is a pleasure to meet you online. I am a lit coach too, K to 12, so my eye wanders across all sorts of book lists in my hunt for great reads. You have presented such a wide selection of texts. Fantastic! Manfish is one of my favourite non-fiction books. It really illustrates how text can be played around with; that the shape of it itself communicates meaning. I have added Elephants can paint too! and Mistakes that work to my list. It is so important that students get that "mistakes" can lead to great things!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog! Off to check out your list :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited about Manfish, Now & Ben, and B is for Buckyeye (which are my favorite confection!). Thanks for this great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy,
    There are a lot of new titles here for me. I'm going to have to put Elephants Can Paint Too, Manfish, and Mistakes that Worked on the top of my list.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read Candy Bombers! Mistakes that Worked would be a good one to get ready for Invention Convention. I love Balloons Over Broadway:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy Bombers would be a great chapter style biography to read aloud after launching your biography unit...there is a picture book too...Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot! :)

      Delete
  6. So many great picture books!! I will have to put those on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many of these titles are new to me. I'm excited to locate them. I have see Elephants Can Paint too on a few lists and am now very curious. Manfish also seems to be a must read. I use the Big Book of Why with my class too - all of these fact books (like Weird but True) are so much fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete