Saturday, May 11, 2013

End of the year reading conferences...


How many more Monday mornings do you have left before summer begins?  My answer is four!  I always count Monday mornings instead of how many days are left in school.  I feel that as soon as the week starts...off we go and the days become a blur!  But...Monday mornings are when we "think" we have a plan in place but then our students take us down many different roads!

This is my favorite time of year...when my individual reading conferences turn toward reflection on the year and their summer reading plans.  The purpose of each conference will be reflection and to give each student a time to be heard.  I will be "listening" to their thoughts about themselves as a reader, their feelings about our predictable structure, the books that have touched their hearts, and their goal for summer reading.  I am going to have the students write about their thinking before hand using the template provided.  I am excited to "listen" to their feelings, their thinking, and most of all to model how important reading is by needing to meet and to "listen" to each one of them during the end of the year chaos.

Here are the four questions for my "listening" conferences:
1.  What have you learned about yourself as a reader this year?
2.  Name a part of Reading Workshop (read aloud, book clubs, book partners, celebrations, jotting, Reader's Notebooks, reading graph, independent reading, mini-lesson) that impacted your reading this year.  Why was this component so special or important to you as a reader?
3.  Name a book that has impacted you as a reader this year.  Why was this book(s) so special?
4.  We need to make time for the things that are important.  Reading is important.  Think about your summer.  When do you think you will make time to read?  Where can you make time to read?  Set a summer reading goal for yourself!

Link for End of the Year Reflection template.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Tracy what a great list of questions and I love your form for end of the year reflection for students as well as for me. To get a pulse on my students favorite parts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list of questions. :). I will be starting my final conferences next week and will definitely incorporate your plan. Thanks so much. :). I'm Brandee, you newest follower.
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Off to visit your blog! :)

      Delete
  3. These are great questions to get kids to reflect and to set some summer reading goals!

    ReplyDelete