Sunday, July 20, 2014

A school year fueled by recovery...

I have not blogged in almost a year and am refueled for this coming school year.   I am refueled, not because I have not blogged, read many blogs, or commented, but due to spending this past school year focused on recovery...returning to a normal state of health, mind and strength for myself.  I found that I needed silence in our busy world because words were beginning to lose their meaning. I felt as if I was juggling topics and beginning to chase noise without grounding ideas in my beliefs.  During this recovery,  I found myself listening more and not reacting.  I realized speaking does not always heal or solve problems.

During this "education recovery", I realized I was not driven by fear.  I had not become afraid to venture out with new ideas and was willing to nudge the status quo.  I found with silence, my beliefs were not losing focus.  I did realize that I was driven by the need for approval with evaluations, being there for every teacher I support, working with families in our RTI process and SLOs.  I found that I was trying to please everyone.  I had forgotten that was the one key to failure.  I also realized I was driven by unnecessary stress.  Stress worrying about things that I could not change.  I had to find focus.

Now,  11 months later...I have found I was focused but was letting the noise of our education world interfere with my silence.  I found myself this summer ready to venture back into the blogging world and making this a part of my new "refueled" reading and writing life.  

I am in the literacy coach role again next year.  Even coaches need time to refuel...to keep calm...and teach on! :)


5 comments:

  1. Hooray welcome back and I am super impressed you took the time you needed to be renewed. Excited to be learning along with you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to be back in the "digital" world again! Can't wait to learn along with you too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Tracy -- I admire you for knowing and acting on what was best for you and I sure am glad that you're back blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be back! I have been reading the blogs the past two months and am excited to get back to this level of reflective thinking and reading. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow Tracy -- This says it all: "I found that I needed silence in our busy world because words were beginning to lose their meaning. I felt as if I was juggling topics and beginning to chase noise without grounding ideas in my beliefs." I want to print up your words and post it as a reminder to think about what I believe in as opposed to continually getting caught up in all the noise!

    I think ALL teachers (and parents...) can relate to this and all the extra noise that we get caught up in. I love that you want to "ground my thinking in something I am currently thinking about so the big ideas do not get lost in the noise" as you stated in your #cyberPD reflection. Yes! So important -- and yet this is usually the one step we seem to skip over in our reflecting!

    Thank you for this so important reminder and I'm glad you are ready and jumping back in to sharing your thoughts!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete