Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Simplistic View...week 4

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci

So true this week!  Here we go...week 4!

TEACHING: I can not express enough how much focusing on wait time provided simplicity in my teaching.  I felt like I had time to breathe, process, and appreciate all the different levels of thinking with my students over the past two weeks.  I was "in the moment".  So this week...I am going to become aware of my level of support.  Am I giving assistance or am I giving the answer for sake of time?  Wish I had someone to tally for me :)  I often tell the students (the quarterback) that I am their coach and I can call plays (strategies/questions) on to the field...but a coach will NOT grab the football (tools)  from the quarterback (student) , run down the field (text)  and score (answer) for the quarterback.  I want to just be aware this week.  Eyes open to my level of support because the touchdown is the student doing it independently!

MIND: Commit to something I have always wanted to do. The focus for this week arrived on my doorstep and is a double whammy!  I want to be a writer.  I write for this blog, I write in a journal for my kids, but I still feel like there is more possibility.  So I am reading Kate Messner's 59 Reasons.  It was written because..
 "In order to teach writing effectively, teachers must be writers themselves. They must experience the same uncertainty of starting a new draft and then struggling to revise. As they learn to move past the fear of failure, they discover the nervous rush and exhilaration of sharing work with an audience, just as their students do. Only by engaging in the real work of writing can teachers become part of the writing community they dream of creating for their students." - Kate's website.
I have reached out to some colleagues at work who might want to hop on this journey with me.  My focus is to bring my reading life back and to think about my writing life.  This book is going to be my focus this week.  


BODY: Continue to commit to the calendar.  Last week I prepared to be fit on the calendar and I am going to extend this into this week.  By planning the dates and putting them on the calendar I was never disappointed in myself if I didn't work out because I always knew when I was going to work out.  I found myself excited when I woke up and saw that time on the calendar for the day.  If it wasn't on the calendar...I knew that other priorities were more  important that day.

Last week I focused on preparing healthy meals and researching some new ones for this week.  Here were the finalists: 
Slow cooker Balsamic Chicken
Lemon Garlic Shrimp
Spinach Taco Burgers


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey. I'm interested in learning more about how you apply Kate Messner's new book. Always enjoy learning together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! Watch out! She has written the beginnings of what could be an amazing writing journey!

      Delete